Topband: 80m vertical

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 80m vertical
From: "Carl" <aa4h@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 19:28:51 -0400
I am trying to build a vertical for 80 meter CW. I purchased a 65 foot
telescoping aluminum tubing kit from DX Engineering model DXE-ATK65
thinking this would be a way to get a quick and cheap vertical going.
Has anyone tried this? The instructions show the assembled vertical as
being 65 feet. This appears to be too short for a frequency of 3510 khz.
The telescoping diameters vary from 2 1/8 inches down to 7/8 inches in 6
foot lengths with overlaps to make the entire length 65 feet. Is it
necessary to take the taper schedule into account when trying to decide
the correct length? Yagi designers fret over taper schedules and also
mounting hardware so am I going to need to also? I'm of course trying to
minimize the amount of trial and error tuning with something this tall,
just standing it up once seems like enough. Thanks for any comments.

Carl AA4H

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG.
7:53 PM