Topband: RX antennas and small vertical arrays

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: RX antennas and small vertical arrays
From: Guy Atkins <dx@guyatkins.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 08:47:59 -0700
Hi Carlos,

Thanks for your observations about Flag arrays and comments on Larry's
vertical array discussion.

Your remarks about using balanced feedlines instead of coax for the Waller
Flags caught my attention. That's what Dallas Lankford of Ruston, LA uses on
his Quad Delta Flag Array which we tested last April for trans-Pacific
medium wave DX performance. He uses balanced twinlead for the same reasons
you mentions for twisted pair.

A schematic of his design along with photos and MP3 audio clips of DX as
heard in comparison to a Wellbrook Phased Array is found at this shortened
URL on my Perseus SDR blog:

*http://tinyurl.com/nxsu68*
**
This design provided better F/B on trans-Pacific MW signals than any antenna
I've used at the Washington coast in the last 20 years (I make 3-4 trips per
year to the Grayland, WA vicinity for DXing Asians and South Pacific outlets
on MW).

I currently building two of these antennas for myself and a friend, and will
be testing them at Grayland later this month in some alternate
configurations. You can see some photos of the project, and other postings
related to the phased arrays, under the Topic section "QDFA" on my Five
Below blog.

Regards,

Guy KE7MAV
Puyallup, WA