Re: Topband: Make 80m vertical work on 160

To: Franki ON5ZO <on5zo@telenet.be>
Subject: Re: Topband: Make 80m vertical work on 160
From: DAVID CUTHBERT <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 18:45:47 -0600
Franki,

your 80 meter resonant vertical I assume is about 20 meters tall. You might
want to consider top loading. That allows for two band operation with not
active switching circuits. For example, thee 7 meter top hat wires sloping
downward and loaded with 35 uH provides two band operation.

A base loading coil of 33 uH will get you on 160 meters. A relay can be used
to short it when operating 80 meters. The relay needs to be a high voltage
type if you're running a kW as the voltage across it is over 2500 volts.

Linear loading does not offer an electrical advantage over a simple solenoid
inductor. The 33 uH base loading coil will have a Q of 300 when made with
close wound wire on a 2" PVC form. That gives a loss resistance of 2.4 ohms.
For the simple coil described A KW is a bit much. It will dissipate 45 watts
key down. For this an air wound coil would be better (it can run much
hotter).

   Dave WX7G