Re: Topband: VERTICAL ANTENNA MATCHING

To: "Mr. and Mrs. Magoo" <magoo@isp.ca>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: VERTICAL ANTENNA MATCHING
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 09:00:08 -0500
Bill...

>> ...I have seen very few suggesting using an inductor at the base to
>> ground, tapped down for resonance and up from ground for 50 ohms.  Same
>> thing on ON4UN's book-I believe there is one reference to this method of
>> matching but many using L-networks and ununs.  What is the issue here:
>> efficiency?

As N6RK noted, your antenna needs to be shorter than resonant (capacitive)
to make this work. Perhaps the biggest benefit is that once you are set up,
you can do fine-tuning at ground level if it is a short antenna with narrow
bandwidth. On the downside, high-Q inductors take some care in construction,
and will degrade a bit over time as the metal oxidizes.

You can also use a capacitor to ground instead of an inductor. In this case,
the antenna is physically longer than resonant (inductive). Capacitors have
higher Q (lower loss) than inductors, and high voltage disc ceramics are
cheap. Most inv-Ls will match with 1800 - 2200 pF, so use 8 or 10 smaller
values in parallel to handle the current.

The shunt L or C primarily provides the impedance transformation, so in
either case things work out easiest if the antenna itself can be pruned to
the desired frequency. Otherwise you need another component to control the
frequency and it becomes an L-network. This also works fine, but adds to the
complexity.

>> The bonus seems to be that such a configuration makes the antenna
>> somewhat quieter on receive and may offer a measure of protection from
>> Thor.

'DC' ground will not affect RF noise levels, but the static discharge
comment is true. For the shunt capacitor match, an RF choke will bleed off
static.

73, Gary
K9AY