Re: Topband: How do we get more people on Topband?HI Aloan -

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: How do we get more people on Topband?HI Aloan -
From: "Don W5FKX" <w5fkx@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 01:16:07 -0000
Hi Alan -

While I certainly can't argue with your underlying premise that it is
advantageous to have as much available real estate as possible for erecting
really effective antennas (especially receiving!) for 160m, I hope that you
will forgive me for saying that you are posing an unduly pessimistic view
that isn't conducive to encouraging others to try Topband.

For many years since I began in 1954, I was told the same thing as I pursued
my ham radio experience as a dedicated DXer. It was not until the late 1990s
that, on a fluke, I discovered I could actually hear EU on Topband using an
80m inverted-V (apex at 40 ft),  fed with ladder-line through a transmatch.
It did not take long to find that I could even make some contacts with
stations in central America & the Caribbean - with no more than a 500w amp.
That was both an exhilarating - as well as eye-opening - experience that led
to what I consider to be a re-birth of the excitement of ham radio that I
had felt during my early years. The new millennium and the DXCC Challenge
spurred me to learn some new tuning techniques for improving SNR in a high
noise environment and to begin looking into low-band antennas, leading to a
reasonably effective 160m antenna (inverted-L) that "fit" on my 50x100ft
suburban lot. A few years later, achieving Topband DXCC (a goal that I had
LONG believed to be impossible) led to an article in QST: "Topband? No
Way!... But Never say Never" (February, 2007). Was it easy? No indeed - it
required many hours of patient tuning with ear-splitting noise, followed by
as many hours of calling, while learning the vagaries of Topband DXing.
Today, it is still my favorite band.

I have no doubt that, in your new spacious environment, you'll easily
surpass my current cfmd total of 136, but I wanted to take up your challenge
for " ...others [to] say something more encouraging." I'd like to invite all
the other city folks out there who may be hesitant about trying 160m, to
ignore the nay-sayers and give it a try! Indeed, a great article by
John/K6MM in the June QST ("The No Excuses 160 Meter Vertical") is yet
another example of "city-folks" actually having the audacity to get on 160m.
:-)

                                     73,
                                 Don W5FKX
Delta DX Association           Magnolia DX Association
http://www.deltadx.net/        http://www.mdxa.org/