Re: Topband: How do we get more people on Topband?

To: alan eshleman <oakame@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: How do we get more people on Topband?
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 11:34:10 -0700
alan eshleman wrote:

>Top Band DXing requires real estate.  It's possible to get on 160 with a
>compromise antenna and 100 watts and work DX every now and then, but the full
>Top Band experience requires space for antennas and an amplifier.
>
>I did not get serious about 160 until I moved from my postage-stamp-sized lot
>in Berkeley to my new QTH in semi-rural Sonoma County.  I have a little over
>an acre, surrounded by vineyards and pasture land.
>
>>From Berkeley, I worked KH6, JA, and a few other Pacific islands, but never
>>even heard EU above the city noise.  Since moving, I have 111 DXCC entities
>>worked on Top Band (though some operators, who shall be nameless, are slow to
>>send the cards).
>
>I think we're dinosaurs, albeit happy dinosaurs.  Perhaps others can say
>something more encouraging.
>
>73,
>
>Alan/K6SRZ

Alan,

I agree that more space is way more better for topband, but if you
embrace your inner masochist you can do suprisingly well from a small
lot. Here is how I optimized for my 50' x 100' lot in suburban Los Angeles.

http://www.dellroy.com/W4EF's-Ham-Radio-Page/Radial_Project/Radial.htm

http://www.dellroy.com/W4EF's-Ham-Radio-Page/160VERT/160VERT.htm

The radiator is a 60' base insulated inverted L. I've earned bragging
rights for 160 meter DXCC with this setup using only the TX antenna for
receive (it took forever). I do run at least 1KW (1.5KW when my Alpha
91B is working). Several other locals with similar real estate
restrictions have acheived some astounding results. I know of two guys
here locally with more than 160 countries each and zone totals in the 34
to 35 range all from very small suburban LA lots. You have to be a
MASOCHIST, however. Those blessed with more real estate and lower noise
floors do have an advantage and you have to be prepared for the frequent
dissappointment of listening to them work things you can't hear. If you
are patient, however, the band will reward you - like the time ES1QD was
a true 599 here working W6's like it was 20 meters (those kind of
opening make all the suffering worth while).

I don't know if this will be considered encouraging or not :-)

EMBRACE YOUR INNER MASOCHIST !!

73, Mike W4EF............