Topband: Getting Started

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Getting Started
From: Trent Fleming <trent.fleming@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 11:25:08 -0500
Friends,

I tried unsuccessfully to use my G5RV as a Marconi on 160m this weekend.
Following the G5RV and tuner instructions, I did the following:

On the jumper coming from my window pass through, I coupled the ends of the
shield and center wire together, and attached them to one side of the
balanced line input on my tuner (MFJ-969) I then placed a jumper on the
other side and connected those two leads to my station ground (again, via my
pass-through panel)  I could not get this configuration to tune at all,
using either the MFJ-969 or the MFJ-941E.  My rig is Kenwood TS-690, no
amplifier.  I can hear signals on 160m using the straight G5RV.

Good news is, I made lots of contacts on 80 and 40, so the contest was not a
bust.  Still, I'd like to try Topband this winter.

Is there a regular phone net on SSB where I could test my setup, assuming I
can get a match?

Any ideas?

Thanks

--