Re: Topband: Beverage thru the forest

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage thru the forest
From: "Mike & Coreen Smith" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 20:23:03 -0300
Dwight,

I used to live next to a cedar swamp which was pretty thick in spots.  I ran
a beverage of aprox 1200' length, up, down, over trees, through bushes, etc.
etc. up at an avg.of 10'-12' off the ground (so it wouldn't strangle anyone
walking, hiking, snowmobiling, etc.) and it ended up in a marsh next to a
lake. It worked quite well.  I just had it NE-SW (*unterminated) so
basically bidirectional.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say it "rocked", it "worked" and was
definately worth the Autumn afternoons effort of installing it. (much easier
to do with no leaves, and the trees and ground wet so the wire slips onto
the branches here and there (see below)

Make sure it's up a MINIMUM of 10'-15' so deer, moose, people,snowmobilers
on top of 3' of snowpack, don't hook themselves on it.

Easiest way 'I' found was to walk through the woods with my big spool(s) on
the nearest place that I could call almost call a "path"; putting the wire
on branches here and there, leaving lots of slack.....When you get to the
end, don't tie it.    Then walk it AGAIN with a long pole with a sort of
double hook on the end and push the wire up over all the tall branches you
can find.  Once you're done, you can tighten it up some here and there (but
not too tight as trees moves in the wind). YMMV

The purist will say it was no good, but it did work.,,,,,as bent, twisted
and up down ziggy/zag that it was.  It lasted many years with only a few
repairs.  #12AWG, stranded, R90 insulated wire, colour was brown.

MIke VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey Smith
699 Rte 616 Keswick Ridge
NB