Topband: Good day for QRP

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Good day for QRP
From: N7DF <n7df@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 07:10:16 -0700 (PDT)
This morning 3D2KJ was booming in at least 10 Db over S-9 so I decided to try
to work him QRP   I have tried several other days but not gotten through

I first tried QRPP at 850 milliwatts but got no response so adjusted the FT
1000MP to 4.5 watts output on the Diawa meter and, after 5 calls he finally
came back having solid copy on my call    I heard WA5VGI/QRP call him and he
got the WA5 part but never got the rest of the call.

The QSB was really fierce with the signals fading completely out and back in
over about 5 seconds time

A lot of atmospheric noise

We finally got the power company back out yesterday and they fixed another bad
high voltage connector that we located for them.  They asked us if we could
come up to the village of cloudcroft to locate some noise problems there.  I
guess our reputation as noise sleuths is spreading!