Topband: How to win an ARRL 160m contest for WTX

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: How to win an ARRL 160m contest for WTX
From: Sam Morgan <k5oai.sam@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 07:42:41 -0500
Morning folks,
Yesterday I received a pleasant surprise from the ARRL in the mail.
I opened it up and there was a certificate for winning 1st place in the
2008 ARRL 160 Meter Contest running QRP in the WTX section.

After I bask in all that glory for a few moments,
it occurred to me to check and see,
just how many other stations I had beat out for the prestigious award.

The results of my search can be seen below:

Scores Table Key

Class
   A - Single Op QRP
   B - Single Op Low
   C - Single Op High
   D - Multioperator

Summation of *all* WTX entry's follows:

#       Call    Score   QSOs    Mult    Class   Section Club    Ops
1       KA5OAI  1,428   45      17      A       WTX
2       N5DO    39,910  308     65      B       WTX
3       W5JMW   35,564  266     68      B       WTX
4       NZ5M    598     23      13      B       WTX
5       W5ZO    41,536  331     64      C       WTX

and to summarize and conclude my lesson,
in how to be the winning QRP station for the WTX section,
in the 2008 ARRL 160 Meter Contest.

/insert drum roll please
/\ \/ /\ \/ /\ \/ /\ \/

***
Be the only person silly enough to enter a 160m contest from WTX
running QRP with 65mw into a 13 foot tall antenna @ 20 feet!
***

P.S.
Here were my soapbox comments after the contest:

<quote>
KA5OAI -- Dec 9, 2008 13:21 ET

It seems I was one of perhaps 9 stations that put our WTX section on the air in
last weekend's ARRL 160m contest. N5DO, NZ5M, K6SXA, W5JMW, K5TDA, K5XM, W5ZO,
KD9KC, KA5OAI

Heres a summery of play time from the San Angelo, Tx. side of WTX

"Modest WTX QRP effort"

I finally got to play in my first 160m contest since becoming an apartment
dweller many years ago. It took 5 years to get the landlords approval for *any*
antennas allowed, and then 2 more years to get a Hi-Q 5/160 antenna installed
for 160m on the apartment buildings second floor roof at 20 feet.

The Hi-Q is an excellent antenna. Above the 5/160 coil my installation has a
EB-8 tophat and a 102" whip, so it's all of about 13.5 feet tall. For the ground
plane there are sixteen radials each 13 feet long, with a wire connecting the
outer ends of the radials. There is one radial each for 160m, 80m, 60m, 40m, and
30m thrown in there for grins, all laying on the tar and gravel roof at 20 feet.

If you take my Elecraft K2's 5 watts output, times the Hi-Q's 1.3% efficiency on
160m, we end up with an approximate effective radiated power of about 65
millawatts. Can you say, WTX section <big_gun> *NOT* hi hi

By about 1AM local time of the first night I had worked everyone that could hear
me, all 25 of them. Saturday morning added about 14 more to the log Sunday
morning, 4AM local started with about an hour of no Q's, I figured I was done.
Then came KF4T, who deserves a very big thanks for working so hard to dig me out
of the noise. He broke my no contact streak, and I managed to get another 10
stations in the log by daybreak.

End result 52 Q's, 19 sections, and 1,938 total points, all with 65 millawatts
and a 13.5 foot tall vertical at 20 feet. Who said you can't have fun on 160m
from a mid town apartment, next to a power utilities sub-station, while
surrounded by lots of commercial store rfi?

Maybe next time I can get the locals to give me a contact for WTX, I never heard
any of the other ones on the band all weekend. It's a pretty simple exchange,
all you need is "599 WTX" only 6 letters to learn in cw. <g>

It seems my best contact of the 160m contest was with W4MYA 1345.56 miles away
from San Angelo, TX in Goochland, VA (no I didn't make that up) which turns out
to be 20700.97 miles per watt

Pics of the Hi-Q installation can be found on links from my home page
http://pages.suddenlink.net/ka5oai-1/

P.S. My hats off to all those that did all the hard work copying my peanut
whistle, those guys/gals were the greatest! -- KA5OAI
</quote>

--
GB & 73
K5OAI