Topband: Level Playing Field

To: <rneece@bwsm.com>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Level Playing Field
From: "Joe Wilkowski" <k8fc@k8fc.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 18:46:25 -0600
Rocky Mountain CAC

Since it has been brought up on the low band reflector I thought I would just
send you a small note as to my feelings about being competitive in the two
major 160 meter contesting events.  I live near Westcliffe Co and having moved
here from Western NY I have a good sense of who has the advantage in these
domestic and dx contests.

I can unequivocally say that they are not fair and do not recognize the
difficulties in competing for a major award.  In my particular situation, I
have three transmit antennas for 160 meters including a 93 foot vertical with
over 3 miles of radials.  The receive situation is complementary with 7 600
foot plus beverages and two phased pennants to the NE.   I will no longer enter
the ARRL 160 or the CQWW 160 contest competitively because simply I cannot win.
 I am proficient, I have won many of these two particular contests awards while
living back east but I cannot compete living here in Colorado.

It is my competitive nature that prevents me from enduring any more frustration
at listening and watching the east coast just beat the hell out of me for any
contact.  They are in hours early, they provide a wall which I cannot get
through for the most part and it is unacceptable given the rules of these
contests today.

It really seems that ARRL could care less.  The point of view that I can
compete with my geographical peers is pure bunk.   Why would you enter a world
wide contest to see how well you can do against a guy in Denver or the Springs ?

So, having said that I absolutely am confident the League and any other major
contest sponsor will do nothing about it but I have proffered my opinion which
I believe I am entitled to.

Thanks in advance,

Joe Wilkowski K8FC]
Cotopaxi Co 81223