Re: Topband: Improve efficiency?

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Improve efficiency?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 07:37:44 -0800
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 22:41:06 -0800, Lew Sayre wrote:

>What I have is two fir trees, each about 110' tall and 189' apart. I have

>12GA copper stranded wires going up and over the top of

Hi Lew,

The only thing I would change is to use the trees to support a "Tee"
vertical, with the vertical portion midway between the two trees. This
should minimize loss from the trees. That's pretty much what I'm doing
here. I have a pulley in a tall redwood at about 100 ft and another in a
madrone at about 80 ft. Ropes run from each tree to the top-loading
section, with the vertical section spliced in midway and coming down to
the feedpoint and radials. You have the space to do what I did -- use a
top section that makes the antenna resonant down below 160, then add a
capacitor in series to bring it back up. This gives you a feedpoint Z of
about 50 ohms.

With this configuration, radiation from the horizontal section cancels,
the current peak in the antenna moves up a bit, slightly improving the
vertical pattern. It does NOT improve efficiency of the radial system, but
it doesn't hurt it either.

Be sure to put a weight on one end of the top section so that things don't
break when the trees sway. I use #10 copper THHN (house wire) for
mechanical strength. I use good pulleys from Sherrill Tree Service (in
NC), and the 5/16-inch  rope that DXE and others sell. Use insulators that
don't let the rope touch bare copper -- it can arc when it's wet and melt
the rope. As to height -- it's a compromise between maximizing the
vertical section (good for radiation) and too much sway in a big storm if
you go too high. That redwoods holding my antennas are about 170 ft at
their peaks, and my rigging points are typically 30-40 ft below that. Even
with that and very robust antenna construction, I still typically lose one
antenna per year to the wind (I currently have six wires up).

73,

Jim K9YC