Topband: TX3A

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: TX3A
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 04:02:52 -0800 (PST)
To my fellow hams working TX3A this morning, I am not the lid I appeared to
be...
The radio got a bug in the CPU and kept jumping back to 1830.2 every time it
was keyed...
My apologies...
Details below..

I staggered out to the shack quite early as my body has not yet adjusted to
that &^*%$(! time change...  Turned on the radio and amp and found a big pile
up at 1825... A couple minutes of tuning while the amp went through its warm
up and I found TX3A, qrg UP at 1830.2, but too weak to work at the moment...
I set up the A and B memories for split operation on him, and then did a tune
of the band to see if any thing else was going on...
Some of the regulars were grinding out cq dx - the loudest (as usual) was Jon,
AA1K...
A few very weak JA's was all I found - the best one was JA7NI down at 17.5...
He has been on every morning this past week or so, I'll come back and say HI a
bit later...  I popped him in a memory and went back to TX3A via memory
recall...
By this time TX3A had peaked up in QSB strength to where I judged him to be
workable, so I went for it and after a couple of tries I made the Q...
I then tuned back down to NI, changed to the VFO simplex, not memories
split...  Dropped my call on NI and when I let up I had 16 guys calling me a
lid - whut the hey?
I look at the computer screen and I am back on 30.2...
I look at the radio and I am back on 30.2...
Ah jeez, how did I do that? I look closely and I am still in VFO mode, not
memory mode, and the VFO is saying 30.2...  "A mind is a terrible thing to
lose."

I grab the dial and crank back down to 17.2, mumbling under my breath, I'm the
guy who is fanatical about being courteous, jeez...
lIsten for NI and he is still there but water weak...
So, I drop my call twice and guess what - I am back on 30.2  and the snarling
pack is now ready to lynch me (can't say I blame them)...
SO - I go off to a safe frequency, put the amp in stand by, crank the RF drive
to zero, hit the paddles for one lousy DIT and I am back on 30.2...  Several
minutes of button pushing and knob twisting does not change the situation...
FInally I am forced to do a hard reboot on the CPU - and all is good again...
Computer driven radios are a marvel, until they get confused...

denny / k8do