Re: Topband: Trees And RF

To: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Trees And RF
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 10:39:04 -0500
That's the real gorilla in the room, notable by its absence.  Also note that
the author of the web page was using it for RX below 1 Mhz.  Didn't say a
thing about breaking a pileup on 160 with it.

My seat-of-the-pants-don't-bother-me-with-those-d*mn-technical-details
curmudgeon alter ego evil twin Klung says that if trees were really good
antennas, we'd have all been loading trees back in the 50's when I got
started in ham radio.  Relative to income, things like aluminum, wire and
rope were a lot more expensive then.

Antenna trees (as opposed to trees used for support), were there such a
thing, would have been a godsend.  They also wouldn't violate restrictive
covenants and be currently in wide use.

Anybody smell any gorilla breath?  I don't. Been sniffin for a while, too.

73, Guy.