Re: Topband: Open wire line vs. Paralleled coaxials.

To: richard@karlquist.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Open wire line vs. Paralleled coaxials.
From: Rudy Bakalov <r_bakalov@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 19:46:51 -0800 (PST)
>From Cebik: http://cebik.com/content/a10/trans/spcoax.html
There are two ways of connecting coax cable to create open wire lines- series
and parallel.

In series-connected coaxial cable, we use the center conductors of two coaxial
cables that run side-by side and are of the same length. We can separate the
lines, since the currents and voltages on each leg of the line are functions of
the center conductor and the outer cylinder. By connecting the outer cylinders
(or braids) together at the top and bottom, each line will have comparable
current magnitudes in opposite phases at each measurement point along the cable
length.  The characteristic impedance of a series connected coaxial cable is
twice the impedance of a single cable of the same type. However, the power
rating will be about the same as for a single cable, since the current-
carrying ability of the center conductors has not changed. However, in higher
impedance situations--for which series cables are often used--the current level
may be naturally lower than when the same cable is used in a well matched
situation. On the other hand, the series
 cable may be used in highly mismatched situations, resulting in high peak
currents resulting from the high SWR level.

In parallel-connected coax, the two center wires are soldered together at both
ends and the two braids are soldered together at both ends. The use of
parallel-connected coax cables of the same length normally involves cases where
we need a cable of 1/2 the Zo of a single line of the same cable. Paralleled
cables will provide roughly twice the power handling capacity of a single cable
in the HF region as the surface area of the center wires is doubled.
Rudy N2WQ