Re: Topband: A plea for antenna help from a fledgling 160m Op!

To: Phil Smeaton <Phil.Smeaton@mipac.com.au>
Subject: Re: Topband: A plea for antenna help from a fledgling 160m Op!
From: WY7I <WY7I@EARTHLINK.NET>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 05:02:39 -0700
G'day Phil,
I just completed a similar inverted L for 160-- about the same
dimensions. I put 32-100' radials under it. It's a good match without
any network or toroid to 50 ohms, but the really amazing thing is that
it is a DX-Killer par excellence! I am routinely working far-off
expeditions like TX3A, etc. first or second call from Colorado. It hears
pretty well, too, although I supplement it with a 900' beverage. My
opinion is to forget the elevated radials and go with the most
ground-level radials you can. I secure mine by knotting the ends around
6" nails and then pushing them into the dirt. Also, the inverted L needs
an RFC from hot side to a ground-rod to drain static, but otherwise the
radials DO NOT connect to any rods at the tower base.

Regards,

Paul
WY7I