Re: Topband: automotive relays

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>, "W5UN" <w5un@wt.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: automotive relays
From: "Price Smith" <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 22:03:48 -0600

> Does anyone here have any experience using automotive type relays for
> switching RF?  If so, at high power levels? These relays are
>
> Dave, W5UN

Hi Dave, Nice to see you.
I believe that there was an article in QST a bunch of years ago about using
Auto relays for RF.
I think they used RF chokes in the coil leads.
I have been using Deltrol Control Relays:  #100RF =  DPDT 10 Amp 12 volt DC,
For years. Never a problem
at max power.
I bought mine from Surplus Sales of Nebraska. I think they were around 10 to
12 bucks each. They are made
for RF applications and I believe that they were from Collins Surplus Stock.
I do know that Ken NA0Y and several others in the St. Louis Area are using
them also with no problems.
I have a bunch of RJ1A vacuum relays to someday make the ultimate switch.
But that would
perhaps be overkill.
Price W0RI