Topband: Low Band preamp

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Low Band preamp
From: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:05:41 -0800 (PST)
Earlier this year I was contacted by Ed, W4EDS, regarding a surface mount
technology replacement for the 2N5109 used in my preamp circuit. It sounded
like a good idea, but turned out to be a huge undertaking. The results of that
effort are now posted on my web page.

The effort to locate a suitable replacement transistor expanded into an effort
to include an update to the circuit.

The "new" design has significantly higher OIP3 and less heat, plus a few other
minor things. If the "old" circuit is working well for you, I see no need to
change it unless you just want to do it for fun. However, if you are building
new, I recommend you use the new design.

The document describing the preamp and related information is located at:

http://w7iuv.com

Look for the preamp topic in the index on the left. If you want to bookmark it,
please bookmark the main page because the specific URL for the document will
change from time to time, but the link from the main page will always be
correct. For the same reason, any links you might put on your own web page
should be to my main page. Do not copy the document to your web page. No copy
permissions (for web pages, etc.) are granted to anyone!

Rather than subject everyone to my crude HTML skills again, I've put this
document up in PDF format. I'd like feedback on that to see if it was a good
idea or not.

Let me know if this document was useful to you or if you find any errors. If
there is something else you would like to see included, perhaps i can oblige on
the next revision.

Enjoy!

73, Larry

Larry - W7IUV