Topband: CQ WW TOPBAND GA

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: CQ WW TOPBAND GA
From: "k4pi" <k4pi@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 03:53:14 -0000
Thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth.  Single op here and no assist
from anything, internet or 2 M etc.  I wondered how much I missed country
and zone wise without any assistance so I checked with a multi multi in the
region and they had the same number of zones and 1 more country so you can
compete with the assisted stations.  Thinking about all the input to the DX
clusters and being able to compete with that gave me a sense of
accomplishment.   Same thing happened last year when I exactly the same
number of Z/C against the assisted in the area.  Lots of tuning though.
Taking out the USA QSO's I had 252 Q (234 without USA) 19 Z and 73
countries.  I found conditions to be awful.  Way off from previous years.
Had 29 JA but they were in heavy QSB most all on Sat morning.

N7UA has to the winner again this year as he was working EU through the
polar region that I could not even hear and then running JA/UA later in the
mornings.  EU was fair on Friday night but very poor on Sat night.
Conditions were improving near the end of the contest.

See you in the ARRL DX contest .. ARRL 160 and the CQ WW 160 sound more like
domestic contest with all the clutter..