Re: [CQ-Contest] [SMC] ARRL 160M Contest stories wanted

To: <somata90924@mypacks.net>, "'Jonathan L. Rosner'" <rosner@hep.uchicago.edu>, "'K9AY'" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [SMC] ARRL 160M Contest stories wanted
From: "Paul Mackanos - K2DB" <k2db@k2db.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 16:19:54 -0500
I want to apologize to all who were calling when RF got into my DSL modem
and I

had N1MM set to auto CQ. I was running remotely from my nice warm office in

Rochester, NY, and the modem disconnected me from the internet and I could
not

get the connection back on for a few minutes. Yes, there was a big pile-up
when

I got it fixed, maybe because it was for NNY? hihi. For some reason, running
100

watts was getting into the modem. I ended up lowering my power to 25 watts,
and

that would not interfere with the modem. Running only 25 watts in this
contest

is a big challenge, but we had fun anyway. I was totally surprised that I

worked every station that I called, some were weak and took some time to get

thru, but I guess having fun is what it is all about. I had to call the

neighbor once, before I got it all straightened out, as I was totally

disconnected from the internet and the computer went down. Had to have the

neighbor go over and turn off the main power, wait 15 seconds and turn it
back

on again. It's a good thing I have the computer bios set to turn it back on

when it loses power. hihi. Anyway, more DTMF tones and relays are needed to
get

this thing back on line properly. Thanks to all who worked me, and I had a
lot

of "finally NNY", especially from NN2L who is in NNY. hihi. Contesting is
FUN,

FUN, and sometimes a real challenge.

 73 de Paul K2DB