Re: Topband: Bev Transmission Loss

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Bev Transmission Loss
From: Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 06:17:34 +1300
Hi Rick,

Well I have measured 2 of my 2 W/L Bevs.  One of these has always been
at about 3m height, and away from any other conductors, and the IL is 4
dB.  The other is a 2-wire one which started off at 1.2m height, and abt
300 mm above a fence.  Last week, I measured its common mode IL at 7.8
dB  (Differential mode was only 1.3 dB).  Yesterday I raised its height
to 2.4m and the loss dropped to 4 dB.  All I was really asking in my
original post, was to confirm that the reduction in IL is die to the
increased height and not due to the increased spacing above the fence.

I also measured the coupling from a 100m section of the fence before and
after.  I simply used the same signal source as for the IL measurements,
but connected it to the top strand of the fence.  In the original
position I found the coupling only 20 dB down from the direct connection
case, but after raising the height, the coupling dropped another 8 dB.

I have not been able to repeat F/B tests yet (I need a helper for this),
but certainly judging by the digi signal on 1818.5, I have improved the
F/B fairly significantly.

73, Greg, ZL3IX