Re: Topband: spectrum scopes, swling and contests

To: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: spectrum scopes, swling and contests
From: Sam Morgan <k5oai.sam@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:31:24 -0600
Bill Tippett wrote:
>          Sam this is not intended to criticize anyone but simply to
> make everyone aware of contest rules regarding the use of CW
> decoders.  Using decoders like MRP40 or VE3NEA's CW Skimmer for most
> contests (including the TBDC) puts you in the Multiop category (or
> Assisted category for some contests).  See the TBDC rule 6 below:
>
> 6. Prohibited activities: Cluster spotting shall not be engaged.  Remote
>     operation is permitted as long as all transmitting and receiving antennas
>     used are within 100 km of each other.  Use of skimmer like devices are
>     permitted for the multi-operator category only.
>
> http://jzap.com/k7rat/stew.rules.txt

Understood, perhaps I need to make myself clearer Bill. When I am contesting I
use my setup as a pan adapter so I can click on the next signal. But when
swling
I am able to also use MRP40 to dig out signals down in the noise.

As I *did* say it would do me no good to use that method for contesting, as I
can't even work all the stations which have signals strong enough for me to
hear
them. So why dig them out of the noise with MRP40 and then waste the time
trying
to get them to hear my 65mw?

 > Sam this is not intended to criticize anyone
snip

that is understood Bill, but I do also listen to Signals on 160m when I am not
contesting as I'm sure do others. I really can't believe we all get on top band
*only* so we can increase our DXCC count or outshine others in contests. Some
of
us just enjoy the band and all it's many facets, including qso's as well as
swling stations that we would never be able to hear, or them us.

/mount soapbox

This reminds me of how the thread on SDR's leapt immediately to how folks would
be cheating if they *MISUSED* a new innovative technique. I wonder why is it
that we always assume the worse case senerio? Seems to say more about the
attitudes of the posters than about whatever they seem to be all worked up
about. Competition isn't the *only* thing *everyone* lives for. There is a life
outside of oneupmanship. Really there is, just perhaps not for those who bow to
the "Life is to short for QRP" (meaning anything under 5-10kw) adage.

/umount soapbox

But I am 'not intending to criticize anyone' ....... just sharing <grin>

--
GB & 73
K5OAI