Topband: SDR

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: SDR
From: "Christian Schneider" <prickler.schneider@t-online.de>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 16:08:58 +0100
DM4IM wrote:

A cheater might use a SDR somewhere as a receiving station and work DX

despite a deaf radio, crowded band... All he needs is enough power and an
antenna for transmitting. If

he is clever, no one will ever know he cheats.

-----------------

Even worse - he does not need big transmitting power as long as there is a
close-in SDR conneted to the web and some other elsewhere in the world: that
will allow to "connect" a qrp-station from DL with a qrp-station in
California on 160m on a bright day in July at 1700 UT. Cheating? An amateur
radio qso? The discussion about the unlimited class in CQWWDX has shown that
there may be enough calling it a qso "only using the technology available"
(they may call themselves "marathon men", too, when spanning 42,5km by car).

They may have their personal fun, but: it takes away much of the personal
fun and challenge even for those not in this game and wanting to do it the
"real" way. If I get a confirmation from someone during a qso - did my
signal span the distance to him (achievement on both sides) or did my signal
only reach a SDR 50 miles away? It is bad enough that confidence in the
first version will get lost soon. But of course everything possible will be
done as long as there are enough having their personal fun with it.
Difficult times for logcheckers to come.

HNY anyway and best 73,

Chris (DL8MBS)

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK