Topband: What a night!

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: What a night!
From: marcelo@alternex.com.br
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 21:56:19 -0200 (BRST)

Hello All
This is my first post in this list.
I had never made a real DX 160M QSO before. Apart from a couple of QSOs with PY
and
CX, and QSOs from big contest stations, I had never tried the topband at home.
Not for
lack of interest, for since I saw Jeff, K1ZM collect an impressive number of
entities
on  160 in a M/M CQWW  (PT5A) I always tried to read and learn about the band,
hoping for the day when I would be able to put a "real" antenna and debut in
style.
Then came last night. I was having a horrible noise on 80m, so I went to check
if the
noise was also present at 160. Then I heard some  signals. I heard RK2FWA pretty
well, so I decided to give him a call, after trying to load my low 80m dipole.
Than he returned to me! Hearing my call on 160 from home felt like being novice
again, working my first QSO. Oh boy.
The night went on, with 6 other QSOs, 5 EU (and 4X). I can tell you I am hooked.
Yes, 160 is possible even with bad antennas!
I´ll soon get some "real" antenna (something similar to FO8RZ) and
hope to see you all there.
And congratulations to George Wallner, AA7JV and Tomi Pekarik, HA7RY
for the 2010 Yasme Excellence award. Well deserved!
Best 73 and HNY 2010
Marcelo, PY1KN
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK