Topband: European SDR on 160m

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: European SDR on 160m
From: "StellarCAT" <RXDesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 21:12:25 -0700
a similar issue to using SDR's placed elsewhere to the operator and the
validity of "contacts" made by such methods... I wouldn't want to ruffle any
feathers but after only being on the band for just over 2 weeks I have heard
more than a few "contacts" where calls were incorrectly copied and/or reports
either missed (when made obvious) or not even given ... I believe more so than
I'm use to hearing on the other bands!

I guess I'm still old school - if I don't hear the other stations call, him
sending my call, and a report from him I simply won't count it. I'd rather come
back at a later date/time and make it legit then to hope the other station put
me in the log.

I know conditions are such that contacts are often tough on this band - signals
very weak and the fade is - well for me - very unusual and interesting at the
same time... once I asked a station to repeat my report by sending ? RST ? BK
to him... to which he replied "TU 73" and then everyone started calling him!
Surely the US stations knew I had not completed the contact.... but no chance
to recover provided...

That all stated I'm having fun on the band - after going on 43 years of hamming
this is my first time on 160... in 2 weeks time I'm up to 60 countries worked
(now 62 as of tonight) and thankfully 31 confirmed via LoTW!

g.
Gary K9RX
Arizona

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK