Re: Topband: M flare

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: M flare
From: Thorvaldur Stefansson <otradalur@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:10:22 +0000
> 160 meters are now completely dead at my location - HP85FP at 65 degrees N,
> 23 degrees W.

What really matters is not geographical latitude, but rather the geomagnetic
latitude.

The Auroral Oval is centred on the magnetic North Pole, not the geographic
North Pole...

Iceland is affected by Aurora on average 250 days a year, for comparison
England is affected by Aurora 10 days a year.   The reason for this is that
the Aurora Oval passes right over Iceland, making TF one of the most
difficult location in the world to pursue Top Band.

Sadly, it seems that the good conditions may be over, I was hoping for
another Maunder minimum....

Some Aurora photos may be seen at:  http://tf4m.com/archives/1675

73 Thor, TF4M
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK