Topband: SDR radio for 160

To: Group Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: SDR radio for 160
From: rick darwicki <n6pe@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 08:44:10 -0800 (PST)
The 160m SoftRock Lite II provides a simple SDR receiver with a fixed
center frequency of approximately 1.842 MHz. When used with a stereo
input sound card that can sample at 96 kHz, the band coverage is from
below 1.80 MHz to about 1.89 Mhz.

I bought the unit listed on eBay # 230429959974 out of a need to learn as a kit
and built/tested it
just to play with SDR receiving. It works great, I copied a lot of
stations in the recent pile ups with just my 30' receiving wire.
Assembled (when available) they cost $38. It worked well enough for me to
consider
some of the multiband and TX/RX kits
Use
a 9-volt battery or 9-12-volt AC/DC adaptor, not included.
If you can't handle soldering surface mount stuff, buy it. There are 3
IC and a bunch of SM capacitors on the bottom side of the board.
 There is more info at
 http://www.amqrp.org/kits/softrock40/ with links to tons of support,
schematics and free software.

Rick, N6PE

Remember, Some things are not worth doing well
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK