Re: Topband: Narrow Filtering

To: "Steve Miller" <hsmiller@awsllc.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Narrow Filtering
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 14:37:38 -0800
Steve Miller wrote:
> In a contest (particularly in a contest),  it doesn't make sense to
> have filters any narrower than 500Hz.   Why should other stations
> have to work like crazy to get into YOUR notch?  We all have
> ears.  Is it that difficult to use the human filter that's between them?
> Steve

Here is what is wrong with this oft quoted "wisdom":

When there is a run station every 300 Hz, it becomes difficult
to distinguish between a station calling me off-frequency
vs a station calling my "neighbor" on-frequency.  If a station
seems to be calling me off-frequency, based on his time relative
to my CQ, I have a strict rule to send "?" and wait to geta second call
before responding.  Often that second call never comes and I know he's
working my neighbor, and the timing was coincidence.

During the recent contest, I was trying to work a station in
Europe that was about 200 Hz below an east coast big gun.
The big gun come back to me several times before realizing I
wasn't calling him.  What is even worse is when BOTH stations
come back to me at once.

Yes, I know the solution to that is to send both his call and my
call.  But many people calling me only send their only call.
I can't make them send my call.

The real solution is for everyone to learn how to tune their
radios to the right frequency.

Rick N6RK

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK