Re: Topband: [Fwd: Re: Equal opportunity]

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: [Fwd: Re: Equal opportunity]
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 05:35:51 -0500
Harking back to the message that started all this, I'm not sure there
hasn't been a misunderstanding.  Let's say hypothetically that it was
TX3D that wouldn't make a dupe QSO - in the case of DXpeditions, it's
considered good practice not to re-work a station that is already in the
log, particularly on topband where an insurance QSO probably means
somebody else doesn't get the rare country.  Isn't it possible that the
op on the other end wasn't a contester, and was just behaving according
to his interpretation of "best practices"?

73, Pete N4ZR
Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

On 2/2/2010 10:53 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
> There is no penalty for me giving an apparent dupe "another" exchange.
> No contest sponsor deducts for scattered dupes. If I *don't* give the
> extra exchange, and I'm not in his log, the disputed qso will become a
> NIL penalty for *me* and reduce *my* score.  *I* lose, not him. And it
> always takes more time to dink with him except maybe in the ARRL
> sweepstakes with its long exchange.
>
> Who is seriously arguing this any more? Cabrillo logs don't claim
> credit, just report QSO's. Dupes are simply tossed by the contest
> sponsor.  That started a long time ago when computer log processing
> came into play.
>
> Maybe some guys are dissed by the omni present few who are not keeping
> logs and hit me up once per day per band.  They are points for me.
> Apparent score in the logger only counts 'em once.
>
> 73, Guy.
>
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Chet<chetmoore@cox.net>  wrote:
>
>> Herb and Art have it right.
>>

>> I had several stations tell me I was a dupe this past weekend.  When I
>> responded with an NIL (not in log) the guy just called CQ again.  For sure
>> he is not in my log and he will not get credit for the Q.   The thing to do
>> is to give another report.  I am pretty sure he worked K4FX and not me.  For
>> a run station, just giving the report would appear to me to help him keep
>> his "rhythm" and is much faster than telling someone they are a dupe.
>>
>> Definitely some stinkin thinking going on here
>>
>> 73
>>
>> Chet  N4FX

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK