Re: Topband: Need antenna advice

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Need antenna advice
From: Mike Waters W0BTU <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 13:53:06 -0800 (PST)
Hello all,

I want to express my deepest appreciation to all on the Topband list for all
the advice and suggestions in response to my post. I received so many replies,
it is just not possible to reply individually to everyone.

I was hoping to get something working so that I could do more than just listen,
before the summer QRN begins on 160. That antenna was about my only option
here, given the wet, muddy conditions at this QTH.

A good radial system is certainly planned, but is simply not possible until the
heavy, wet grass can be mowed. Not to mention the tall blackberry briers where
the radials to the NE and E would have to be placed. Too muddy to brushhog
right now. (Otherwise, I would have put up a different transmitting antenna
than I did.)

Right after I posted this, I happened to be listening on 160 SSB. A loud
station had read and was commenting on the air about my post, chuckling that
someone would actually think that 100 watts would work at all on 160. I tried
to call him to say "I'm the guy...", but as loud as he was, he just couldn't
hear me. It was funny. (Many people who have replied have concurred with him.)

I did work a handful of stations on it, almost all on CW. The best DX was
Monaco, but he was just pounding in here, and he could barely hear me.

None of my amplifiers cover 160 meters. Maybe I'll have to sell or trade my
guitars or something so I can build an amp for 160. :-)

There is a real group of gentlemen here. Thanks again for all the help so far.

73,
Mike Waters
W0BTU

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK