Re: Topband: N6LF Article in March QST

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: N6LF Article in March QST
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:54:06 -0600
N4ZR --
>> I'm amazed that there hasn't yet been any discussion of N6LF's article.
>> His tests appear to demolish a lot of fondly-held beliefs...

N6RK --
> Also, the article may appear to give the go ahead to use elevated radials.
> Well, yes and no.  Four elevated radials, perfectly tuned, will work quite
> well on their design frequency.  However, 8 or 16 elevated radials is a
> lot less critical.  So it is more like 16 elevated radials work a little
> better than 16 on the ground...

K8RYU --
>  get the full impact you need to get the QEX articles (7 of them I think)

------

Actually, you need to study as much of the data on N6LF's web site as you
can -- www.antennasbyn6lf.com -- there is a lot of material on measurement
techniques and other essential topics. In situ measurement at HF is a huge
undertaking! Thanks, Rudy!

As noted by others, there are some portions of the discussion of elevated
radials that could be expanded upon. I'd include N6LF's reference to the
interesting, but since disproven, work by K5IU on unequal radial currents.
However, in this case N6LF did arrive at the correct conclusion that small
numbers of elevated radials need to be resonant.

Gary
K9AY

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK