Topband: Amplifier question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Amplifier question
From: James Rogers <jdrog@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 15:58:54 -0500
Top Banders,

I just bought my first amp. I have followed the tuning direction
verbatim. I have also read several other tuning procedures and applied
them with about the same results.

I'll keep the amp manufacturer's name out of this.

When I'm running bearfoot the Daiwa CN-801 wattmeter agrees almost
exactly with the Icom rigs watt indicator.

When running with the amp my Daiwa CN-801 wattmeter says I am putting
out 425 watts (power turned down from a max of about 600w), with about
30 watts of exciter input, and response from contracts on cw was very
good during the ARRL test, with most contacts worked within 1-3 calls.

I called the amp manufacturer to talk to them and continue my
learning, and told them I am running about 80 mA of grid current,
about 400mA of plate current, at about 1600 plate volts with about 30w
of exciter input. The manufacturer says there is not way I am putting
out 425w with only 30w of rig input. The manufacturer say I should be
putting out about 300w with 30w of exciter input.

Who is right?  The manufacturer of the amp or the Daiwa wattmeter that
agrees with the Icom watt indicator when running bearfoot?

Jim N4DU

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK