Re: Topband: Magic Antenna Land

To: "Hardy Landskov" <n7rt@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Magic Antenna Land
From: GEORGE WALLNER <gwallner@the-beach.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 16:15:04 -0500
>Hardy, N7RT wrote:
>seawater is lousy for conduction currents
>but great for
> electromagnetic wave propagation. In other words, let
>the antennas and
>radials do the radiation and let the saltwater do the
>propagation.

Hardy,

During TX3A we used a vertical T and DID NOT HAVE ANY
RADIALS. The antenna was standing in salt-water on a large
aluminum stand to which we connected the "ground wire". It
seem to have worked.

I have measured the DC resistance between two aluminum
metal stands standing in salt-water about 45 feet apart.
The resistance measured was 7 ohms. You are right, this is
not a great "conductor", but when considering that it is
in a 360 degree arc, and goes out a long way, it makes for
a great ground systems. I must point out that the aluminum
stands have had large surfaces in the water (they each had
four 9' legs). Although DC and RF behaviour in a conductor
is different, the salt-water seems to make for a pretty
decent "radial field". The trick is ahcieving a low
impedance connection to it.

73,

George, AA7JV
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK