Re: Topband: grounded tower detuning

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: grounded tower detuning
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 11:40:42 -0600
> Gary Nichols KD9SV wrote:
>> Has anyone on this reflector been able to detune a grounded tower using
>> one or two drop wires instead of the Usual three.

> Greg, ZL3IX replied:
> With the tower only 70 ft high, you should get enough detuning simply by
> disconnecting the coax from the shunt feed with a relay, when on Rx.
_____

I have a nearly identical situation to Gary -- 72' tapered self-supporter,
but currently there are no antennas installed, and very little re-radiation.
However, this tower will approach resonance at 160M when a 10 ft. mast,
large tribander and 40M beam are installed. I will need to detune it, since
it is only 150 ft. from the 160M vertical.

My tower tapers from 36" to 11" -- I expect one drop wire to make a large
improvement, probably needing a second drop wire to further reduce
re-radiation. I don't think this tower is wide enough to require a 3-wire
"skirt."

In my pre-1985 broadcast days, a single drop wire worked well for detuning
grounded 25G and 45G style towers. These were usually 2-way radio towers
with little top-loading (pre-cell site era). Since these towers were rarely
1/4-wave at the BC freq., insulating the guy wires made a big improvement,
and the detuning circuit did the rest of the work. The only towers requiring
a 3-wire skirt were CATV or microwave relay towers, which were taller,
fatter, and had the extra loading of multiple antennas.

Gary
K9AY

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK