Re: Topband: "4nec2" Antenna Modeling

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: "4nec2" Antenna Modeling
From: Tom McDermott <tom.mcdermott4@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 08:09:11 -0800 (PST)
The help file that ships with 4NEC2 leaves a bit to be desired (4NEC2.rtf,
4NEC2.hlp).
The supplied help just tells you what the buttons do, it does not provide you
with a "step-by-step guide for the first time user". I've seen a more friendly
manual for it floating around that is written in a step-by-step fashion, but it
got lost in a recent hard-drive crash, and I've not been able to find it using
google. Maybe someone on this list has a link.

If you are familiar with NEC2 then the learning curve is not at all steep for
4NEC2 - took me about 4 or 5 hours to get quite proficient with it. If you are
not knowledgeble about NEC2 antenna modeling, then it will take longer (as with
any modeling package, not just 4NEC2). The key is that 4NEC2 just has a lot of
buttons, until you know what the buttons do, it's hard to get started. Once you
do, it's super quick and efficient to run.

4NEC2 is extremely strong in graphical model construction, automated generation
of radials, grids, shapes, etc. Easy duplication, translation, and movement of
wire segments, etc.

-- Tom, N5EG

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK