Re: Topband: [Fwd: Re: Question for the EXPERTS and Heavy Transceiver us

To: GEORGE WALLNER <gwallner@the-beach.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: [Fwd: Re: Question for the EXPERTS and Heavy Transceiver users and testers]
From: mstangelo@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 14:00:56 +0000 (UTC)
All,

I've been enjoying this discussion of "non-competition-grade" transceivers.

My base station radio is a K3 but I do lots of operating on the road and on
trips and am looking for a small transceiver with good signal handling
capabilitues on CW and well as effective DSP to help with the eliminaton of
automobile generated QRN.

Does anyone have experience with the following:

Icom IC-7200
Kenwood TS-480
Yaesu FT-897

Sherwood doesn't evaluate the smaller radios and I've looked at the receive
2khz and 5khz measurements in the ARRL Product reviews. None compare to the top
of the line radios; the FT897 has the worst perfomance but the 7200 and 480
seem to have the best specs for smaller radios.

I also considered the K2 but I also do lots of utility listening with the radio.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

73,

Mike N2MS