Re: Topband: Do beverage antennas work in dense wood?

To: Michael Zürch <dg1cmz@freenet.de>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Do beverage antennas work in dense wood?
From: "Robin" <wb6tza@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 14:32:09 -0700
Run it through the trees, it will work just fine.  Use the slope to your
advantage, it will tilt the response angle down.  a one wavelength beverage
is a moderately high angle antenna, 10-15 degrees of downslope will not be
noticeable.  If the slope is more than that, you can use the slope to help
hide from signals from behind you

I would go to the effort to avoid electrical contact with the trees, but,
just insulation will work just fine, no extra measures needed.  For a
permanent installation, I would probably use real screw base insulators-
the kind with a ceramic top on a long lag screw. often used for electric
fence wiring on wood fences.  Use the lineman's method of attaching the
wire to the insulator, don't run it THROUGH the insulator, that will make
maintenance very difficult.  Attach the wire with a lineman's wrap, and
that will allow enough movement that it will tolerate some motion in the
wind

the beverages at VP6DX were forced through dense brush and used the limbs
for support.  This worked very well, but would not last years with wind
moving the wire and chafing through insulation.  Use a 6-8 meter long
fiberglass collapsible rod used for fishing wires through ceilings and
attics to help you fish the line through the brush, and support it with the
insulators I mentioned

Make some of them longer than 180 meters- that is minimum length for any
performance on 160.  you should have some out to 300-400 meters if
possible, don't worry of they change slope in the middle, just try to keep
the wire in a straight line, don't worry about the varying height. remember
that 320 meters is only 2 wavelengths at topband

do as many as you can. There is no such thing as too many receive antennas
on topband

73

Robin, WA6CDR