Topband: Results summary of preferred CW transceiver

To: "Topband Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Results summary of preferred CW transceiver
From: "Dennis Peterson" <dennisissure@comporium.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 07:30:53 -0400
Well, what a pleasant surprise and welcomed response from so many with regards
to the most promising cw transceiver in the USED market.  Thanks to EVERYONE
who replied to my question and inquiry.  The following RESULTS speak well of
public and personal preference and opinions.  There were only 9 rankings
recorded and tallied in the results.  These are not etched in stone, nor are
they the gospel for critique.  They are opinions and personal hands on
experiences from some of the hobbys well known operators.

RANK                    Rig Description
   percentage of total votes

     1           Kenwood TS-850/loaded filters
           27%

    2            Elecraft K3
                        16%

    3            ICOM-746 & 761; FT1000MPMKV
14%

    4            ICOM 765 Pro
                  12%

    5            Ten Tec Orion
                     10

    6            Kenwood TS-830
                8.0%

    7            Elecraft K2; Icom 751A
               6.0%

    8            Kenwood TS-930, TS-2000, Flex 3000
  4.0%
                  Ten Tec Omni VI; Yaesu FT-1000D

    9            ICOM 736, IC-746ProIII, IC-781, IC-7700
3.0%
                  Kenwood TS-940, Yaesu FT-2000, FT-9000
                  FT-950; Flex 1500; Ten Tec Omni V and
                 Ten tec Orion

                               100%

I examined the results posted by W*JI on his web site as well as the Sherwood
Engineering web site and found the results here were very similar in spite of
the time frame.  Actually, I was very surprised to find the Kenwood TS-850 at
the top of the list as I was really expecting to see the Elecraft K3 on top.

I have personally owned Tempo One, Yaesu FTDX 570, FTDX 400; FT-101E, FT-101EE,
IC-735, Alinco DX-70 and Kenwood TS-870.My favorite was the TS-870 followed by
the present IC-735.  One responder went as far as to say that he had an IC-735
and traded it in for an OMNI VI and found he was hearing additionally with the
OMNi VI and working DX he wasn't hearing with the 735.

I am pleasantly swayed in one direction at this time and hopefully I will make
the correct decision and end up with a nice new USED CW transceiver.  Got to
wait and see if my ship comes in or I win the Lottery or anything else that
could solidify the current scenario.

In conclusion, many operators who responded to this inquiry are also or were
DX-Peditioners themselves.  Many were Contesters and others just casual DX
chasers.  Thank You again and I respect your comments and suggestions which has
enabled me in making a better decision.  Great job guys and your DX peditions
and expertise greatly appreciated.

73s de K4CKDennis

Dennis G. Peterson
326 East Jefferson Street
Apt 2
York, SC  29745
803-389-9366

Read my story below by clicking the URL:

http://www.yananow.net/Mentors/DennisD.htm

http://www.k4ckd.com
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK