Re: Topband: Sunrise enhancement on 160?

To: Larry <w6nws@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Sunrise enhancement on 160?
From: <rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 5:09:07 +0000
The broadcast band DXers have seen the same thing, typically on European
sigs on the local low power channels, typically 1485 or 1584 kHz, where they
fairly suddenly rise up out of the murk, shine and disappear sometimes
all in 10 minutes or less. These channels are full of small stations and
there is usually someone active in an area of Eu the skip is favoring who will
propagate here. I heard some of this myself in the 1970's when I was active
in the SWL/BCL world, and staying up till 2 or 3 AM was "no problem" hi

The big plus in BC DXing was the availability of signals that were always-on
night after night and one could easily see what areas were being favored
for skip, and there would be nights when parts of Eu were good and other
nights that were much different. And then the nights when everything seemed
dead.

Many of the top MW DXers have now moved over to using the Perseus SDR for rx
with Beverage, flag, pennant or ewe ants, an amazing transformation of
technology just in the past few years, and classic rx's such as the SP-600
and tuned loops ants are left behind.

Bob k2euh

---- Larry <lknain@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> You would hear the same thing at your sunrise but more for Asia and Oceania
> stations. VK6, for example,
> becomes workable around sunrise on the East Coast in the Spring and Fall.
> (VK6 is probably the longest
> shortpath QTH from NC still on land.) The openings at your sunrise will
> typically be short - perhaps 15
> minutes.
>
> 73, Larry  W6NWS

> > ON4UN talks about sunrise enhancement at the location of the listener when
> > the listener experiences sunrise, although I have never seen this (I am a
> > night owl, so I am usually not up for sunrise).
> >
> > What I have seen before and saw again tonight was signal enhancement of
> > the
> > DX station at HIS sunrise.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK