Re: Topband: Top Loaded Vertical

To: <herbs@vitelcom.net>, "'Charlie & Vivian Vaughan'" <vcm4@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Top Loaded Vertical
From: "Ray" <rayn6vr@cableone.net>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 11:46:24 -0700
Herb,

I have been thinking about building the same type of antenna that Charlie
has in mind. I have two questions:

1) You say to connect the top wires together end to end. I think that mean
at the ends of each top hat wire? From a top view, the top loading wires are
attached at the top of the vertical radiator and strung out as you
recommend, then connect their ends to each other with more wire to make a
large triangular top hat, correct?

2) If I build such a 160m loaded antenna and want it load it on 80m, could I
drop the three top loading wires and attach them to the vertical radiator
wherever they hang down to, then build a separate 80m matching unit? To
switch back to 160m, I would detach the top loading wires and string them
out to their original tie points and change back to my 160m matching system.
I see no reason why this would not work. Any comments?

I wish to thank you for all your past inputs to the Topband. Many are filed
away for future reference.

Tnx,

Ray,
N6VR/7