Re: Topband: protect my transmitter from atmospheric discharges

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: protect my transmitter from atmospheric discharges
From: Rob Stampfli <rob@cboh.org>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 14:08:22 -0400
On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 09:57:59AM -0700, sasas asasas wrote:
> Hi. I have an transmitter at 160m band (500w). i know that when the weather
> is bad, the antenna's wire (inverted L) has a voltage about several kvolts. I
> would like to protect my transmitter. I am thinking to use a 2.5mH R.F choke
> (1A max current) which i will connect between antenna's feedpoint and ground
> system. What do you think about this solution? Some radio amateurs i think
> that they use carbon resistances. Which solution is better? ( i don't like to
> increase the swr by adding choke or resistance). Its better to ground the
> choke or the carbon resistance to my transmitter's ground system or to the
> public electric corporation ground system? thank you

My guess is that your transmitter should be the least of your concerns.
I'd be much more worried about your receiver.  A good voltage drain will
not only protect your equipment, but also reduce the noise level in your
receiver that arises from the induced voltage.

You may want to take a look at the following:

http://www.iceradioproducts.com/33.htm

Whether you obtain such a product from the manufacturer or roll your
own, the ICE design is a good one.  I've used these their arrestors
for a while now, and have not observed any SWR problems arising from
their use.

Rob
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK