Re: Topband: 160 between February and October

To: topband@contesting.com, k3bu@optimum.net
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 between February and October
From: Mike Waters W0BTU <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 14:23:35 -0700 (PDT)
> From: k3bu@optimum.net <k3bu@optimum.net>
> Subject: Re: Topband: 160 between February and October
> Date: Wednesday, June 2, 2010, 8:39 PM

[snip]
> Another important tool in minimizing the QRN is the use of
> direct conversion RX (SDRs), low IF roofing filter rigs (K3,
> Ten-Tec, R4B) with simple crystal filters. Multi pole
> filters and multiple filters in IF chain tend to stretch the
> static crashes and pulses, making them longer and more
> annoying (like pshhhhhttt vs. just psht)
[snip]
> 73 Yuri, K3BU.us

Thank you Yuri -- and everyone else -- for the replies. Much appreciated.

Yuri's comment above especially got my attention. I use a heavily modified
Drake R-4C with all the contest modifications and Sherwood CW filters.

The first IF has switchable 8kHz (stock Drake, so the noise blanker works when
I need it), Sherwood 1.9 kHz (USB, LSB, RTTY) filters, and Sherwood 600 kHz
filters. The MODE switch selects from either Drake 500 Hz, Sherwood 250 Hz, or
Sherwood 125 Hz Sherwood filters. (I mostly use the 250 Hz filter).

I have often wished for a K3 and an SDR based rig. Anyone care to comment on
how my R-4C might compare with a K3 or SDR on CW?

73 Mike
W0BTU

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK