Topband: 160m Noise Floor

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m Noise Floor
From: "Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 01:39:38 -0800
Pete,

Glad you are getting good results from your short BOG. I am receiving 160
and 80 meters with a experimental 122 foot BOG. With this length and my
ground conditions it self terminates above 4.5 MHZ . My termination is two
150 ohm resistors in series.
 When I take the termination off it has a very low VSWR from  4.5 MHZ to
above 30 MHZ., sweeping with my CIA-HF
VSWR analyzer.  With the termination connected, it has directivity on 160
and 80 meters. On 7 MHZ it receives but appears to have little directivity.

I use ground rods rather than radial wires.  Driven deep as possible to
achieve the most micro volts across the 300 ohm matching transformer
winding. Also to eliminate radial wire reactance change when used on
multiple bands. Winter time frozen earth is not conductive so deep rods are
recommended. (Trying to ground to the same surface earth the wire is laying
on should result in  low potential difference)

73, Bruce

 < I use a bog like this here, about 125 ft long all on ground and can hear
euro dx on 160 fine.  On 80 it's almost a good rx antenna, and same even
better on 40 and 30. >

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK