Re: Topband: 160m Receive Noise Floor

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m Receive Noise Floor
From: kd6nrp@earthlink.net
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 08:47:24 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Good Morning:

I would like to thank everyone who provided suggestions on lowering my 160m
noise floor.

I have already tried two of them.

Previously, I owned a Timewave ANC-4 receive noise canellation unit. I followed
the instructions and also used the advice of users posted in the product
reviews on eHam. Despite multiple attempts to get it properly set up, it did
not appear to help very much.

Last Christmas I received a Timewave DSP-599zx DSP audio filter. Unfortunately,
when I turned it on, it generated RF hash and actually raised my noise floor!

One advantage of living in southern California is my proximity to the desert. I
am considering a trip up to an isolated area and using a balloon to raise a
full-wave 160m vertical delta loop. The apex of the loop would be tied to the
balloon and it would be fed in the lower corner.

73

Brian, KD6NRP
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK