Topband: Long-delayed echos

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Long-delayed echos
From: HA0DU Steve <ha0du@dx.hu>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:20:58 +0200
  Dear All,

Not TopBand, but... Let me first state I have never been an alcoholic
and never been on drugs.
In the late 1980's we had daily conversations on 24950 with HA0HV and
HA0NAR. We were new on 160, and new on the WARC bands so we had a lot to
talk about. On one day after we finished the chit-chat, I left the VFO
on 24950 and started doing something in the shack. Some minutes later a
"machine voice" started up on the frequency, repeating the whole
conversation we had. The same voice for all three of us, repeating every
sentence in order. The voice was like the voices of "computers" in the
early sci-fi movies, the same level of voice and no accents at all.
Monotonely saying everything we have said, for a good twenty minutes or so.
I was frozen. I did have a tape recorder in the shack, but I did not
have a cartridge, and I just could not move to get one to record the
speech. Then the voice got to the end of the conversation, said goodbye
and it disappeared.
I don't think it was a long-delayed echo, and honestly I do not have the
slightest idea what it could be - perhaps you guys can tell....

73 Steve HA0DU
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK