Topband: Inverted L Dimensions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Inverted L Dimensions
From: "Scott MacKenzie" <kb0fhp@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 19:21:31 -0400
I have decided to take the plunge and put up a simple antenna for 160M.
Several comments:

It has to be simple and not excessively expensive;
I have limited room for antennas on my lot, and very limited room for
radials.
I do have multiple tall trees that I can use to hoist a wire 60 feet + in
the air.
My soil, if you want to call it that, is poor and rocky (typical Eastern
PA).
My application is casual DXing and working stateside.

Based on this, it looks like an inverted L is probably my best choice.  I
want to feed it with 50 ohm coax.  Now the questions are pretty simple:

What dimensions are best - 5/16 or 1/4 wave?  Both are indicated in the
literature.
What is simpler to match?
Am I better off making a loaded vertical approximately 60 feet long?

I appreciate your help.

Scott aka KB0FHP
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK