Re: Topband: ground rod replacement?

To: "Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: ground rod replacement?
From: "Bob Eldridge" <eldridge@direct.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 10:49:48 -0700
> Recommend use as long as possible copper water pipe for grounds.
> Reasonably short BOG's using  ground rods instead of radials
I used lots of BOGs (but only for 160) and found that Harold
Beverage's advice (for normal Beverages) recommending a few short
radials laid on the grouind and symmetrical, applied to the BOGs too,
except that if the BOG was long enough we didn't need any termination
at all at the far end.
I also found that for resonant 160 antennas, 1/4 wave long elevated
terminating wires were better than any ground rods, winter and summer,
rain or shine, Rx or Tx.  Our temp only goes down to  -25C or so, but
frost goes to about 50 cm deep sometimes.
Bob VE7BS

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK