Topband: To short or not short unused coil turns

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: To short or not short unused coil turns
From: WD8DSB@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 21:56:13 EDT
Typically I see comments that unused coil turns should be shorted, but
logic tells me that for maximum coil efficiency unused coil turns should not be
 shorted unless the application of unused turns results in the generation
of  excess voltage which then creates an arc or spark.

I am building a remotely controlled base loading coil box for my 53 foot
160 meter vertical, and during prototype testing I have not experienced any
problems running with the unused coil turns not shorted, but now that I am
hard  wiring the final version of my box I thought I would like some feedback
from  others regarding this topic.  The coil is also used to run the
antenna on  80 meters and have not had any difficulty with arcing when not
shorting the  unused turns.

Please comment on my belief that unused turns should not be shorted unless
arcing occurs.

Thanks,
Don Kirk (wd8dsb)

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK