Re: Topband: BOG questions

To: n4zr@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: BOG questions
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 13:11:27 -0400
  Pete,

Normally a 20 degree bend should not amount to much except a very slight
pattern skew and slight gain reduction in the desired direction..

You might , however, wish to take advantage of the velocity factor that
results from a Beverage on or close to the ground. A foot BOG might be
adequate at 400 foot length and perform as well as your 580 BOG...
However a 20 degree dog leg bend over 30 per cent of your antenna will
result in slight pattern distortion and not contribute much to the
antenna gain overall anyway....So I would think you could have a good
low noise antenna with a predictable broad pattern by just eliminating
the additional yardage.

If a zig zag antenna is possible you might also be able to lay more wire
down but the pattern overall should not be much different.  The loss of
antenna gain could be compensated in a pre-amp.

A short BOG at 400 foot may perform better then you would expect for a
shortened wire.

73,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

On 10/19/2010 7:57 AM, Pete Smith wrote:
> I'm thinking of a BOG for this season's RX antenna, after becoming
> thoroughly disillusioned with my K9AY loop experiments.  Problem is, I
> can only get about 350 feet on the right azimuth (to Europe) and to
> continue to a full 580 feet or so, I would need to do a 20-degree dogleg
> to the right.  I'm wondering if anyone out there who has NEC-4 can
> advise on how this would affect the pattern and the terminating
> resistance.  My NEC-2 won't handle it, of course.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK