Topband: radials

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: radials
From: Brendan Minish <ei6iz.brendan@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 15:22:36 +0000
Under my 1/4 wave Inverted L (~18M vertical section) I have a mix of
buried radials and radials lying on the grass (for the winter months
only)

In total there are around 20 radials with lengths of between 1/8 and 1/4
wavelength long.

the ground here is very good, in the winter the field is saturated
nearly all the time and the system seems to play well.
The far field ground is the same type of soil and the Irish weather
keeps it well saturated all winter..

With all the radials out the feed point impedance at resonance is around
25 Ohms but it's hard to say how much of this is due to the proximity to
the tower and other antennas.

I have the opportunity to roll out a couple of rolls of chicken wire on
top of the radials, however there is significant work involved and I'll
have to get it back up again in the string. Am I likely to be able to
improve things further or would my efforts be better spent getting more
radials out ?

Any suggestions on how to make some quantifiable measurements as I
change things?

Brendan EI6IZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK